In the 13th century this house, just as 'de Coninck Van Spaignien', belonged to the family Serghuys. In 1439 it was bought by the guild of the Vettewariërs, and so it became their guildhall. In 1644 they replaced the wooden building by a stone one. This building partly survived the 1695 bombardment of Brussels. It was heavily restored in 1696-1697 by architect Jan Cosyn, which led to a luxuriant, mostly baroque facade.
Click here for other buildings on the Town Square (Grote Markt).