At the origin stood here a chapel of the 12th centurydating Saint Jacobshouse, that was used for the relief of pelgrims and poor travellers.
This church was built between 1664 and 1694 after that a shoemaker found there the miraculous statue of our holy Virgin of good assistance and the chapel had become to small because of the many people coming there.
The new renaissancechurch was drawn by Jan Cortvrindt, but because he died during the construction works, the construction of the facade was terminated under the orders of Willem de Bruyn, and the interior under the orders of Pieter-Paul Merckx .
The facade was restored between 1847 and 1849 in baroque style.The facade has Ionic capitals pilasters and at the gable a fronton shows amongst others the scutcheon of Charles of Lorreinen, and in a tabernacle there is a statue of Virgin Mary from 1910 next to two flame vases.
The plan is in fact an hexagone, with there above a dome, with at the eastside a semi circular absis with therein the chancel, and at the westside a short nave. This centralized pattern makes one think of the renaissance and baroque in Rome.
Several statues are originated from the church of the Unshoeed Carmelites. The statue of the Holy Mary of the Good Assistance is dated from the 14th century and the statue ofOur Holy Mary of the Rode and also the statue of the Holy Barbara are dated from the last qurter of the 15th century. The statu of the Holy Mary of the Good Assistance is situated in the tabernacle in the tabernacle.
There are several paintings hanging there from the 17th until 19th century.
The organ is situated on the gallery in the nave.