This two aisled church was in the 11th - 12century a little one aisled , roman church. In the 13th century the nave was made longer and in the 14th cenury the gothicchoir was enlarged. During the 15th century the octogonal crossing tower was built. During the 16th and 17th century the parish was growing and therefore the church was growing also. Thereofre the south second nave was built and a second choire and even the transeptarms. In 1750 the sacristy was reconstructed.
In 1913 followed a complete restauration under the orders of the architect Geirnaert.
The interior is mostly neogothic. The baptismal font is older and is dated from the 17th century, the pulpit and the confessional are from the 18th century. The organ from 1817 was built by H.F. De Volder .
The interesting painting ' the crying' 'Bewening',by Hugo Van Der Goes is from the 16th century..